Georgios Zontos, MD, MSc, PhD, FISHRS
Dr Georgios Zontos has been working as the medical director of Haarklinikken in Denmark for over 12 years. He graduated with a degree in Physics, in Medicine and in Medical Physics namely, BSc MD and MSc while he holds a PhD degree in Medicine .He also a diplomate of the American Board Of Hair Restoration Surgery .
Recently Dr Zontos was elevated to Fellow of International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery.
Dr Zontos is an internationally prominent surgeon in the field of hair restoration surgery, and a published author of medical publications. He is a researcher for the University of Patras School of Medicine, where he has been supervising a hair transplantation project since 2010.
Dr. Zontos is a member of a scientific group that has developed a device referred to as Follysis which is a specifically designed system including an advanced database with state of the art image analysis, dedicated exclusively to providing the very best in hair restoration treatment planning and patient follow up.In short, Follysis archives detailed patient data, quantifies the patient outcome and provides accurate early hair loss diagnosis. Additionally aids the physician in modifying individual patient treatment planning by constantly monitoring density changes in each follow up
Dr Zontos practices exclusively in the area of Follicular Unit Extraction ("FUE"), which is a minimally invasive hair transplant technique. He is an expert in this field and is a regular speaker at the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery. The aim of the Society is the development and sharing of knowledge and skill relating to hair restoration surgery. Dr Zontos is also registered with the Sundhedsstryrelsen, or the National Board of Health, the supreme professional health care authority in Denmark. The Sundhedsstryrelse, which considers Dr Zontos to be in "good standing", has granted him the right to practice medicine and the permission to practice independently as a physician under licence number 06D8L. Since 19 May 2008, Dr Zontos has been registered to practice hair transplantation, including pre-assessing the patient before hair transplantation in Denmark under registration number 7-703-23-115/1/ANM. In addition he is qualified for independent practice in Greece and the UK.
Actively participating at the forefront of research, Dr. Zontos has pioneered an advanced method of follicular unit extraction (FUE), called the Long Hair FUE. This method dramatically improves on traditional FUE by avoiding any shaving to the donor area. Dr. Zontos also developed a technique of minimizing the skin injury to the donor area while improving the quality of the extracted follicular units. This method increases the survival rate and results in a high density, natural, undetectable fashion. This method was recently presented at the 20th ISHRS conference in the Bahamas. He is also involved in research investigating the use of robotics in hair transplantation .
He has performed the FUE procedure on approximately 5000 patients in Denmark, Greece, Germany, France, Cyprus, UK, Israel and South Africa with great success. As medical director of Haarklinikken, he has established a practice dedicated exclusively to providing the very best in medical and surgical treatments for hair loss. His unwavering focus on state-of-the-art medical and surgical techniques and dedication to patient advocacy has firmly established him as a leader in the field of hair restoration.
- Fellow ,INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF HAIR RESTORATION SURGERY 2017
- Diplomate ,AMERICAN BOARD OF HAIR RESTORATION SURGERY 2016
- MEDICAL DOCTOR
- FUE HAIR SURGEON
- PHYSICS DEGREE
- MASTER DEGREE
- PhD DEGREE
Fellow ,INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF HAIR RESTORATION SURGERY 2017
Diplomate AMERICAN BOARD OF HAIR RESTORATION SURGERY 2016
NATIONAL BOARD OF HEALTH –DENMARK 2008
GENERAL MEDICAL COUNCIL 2004
ATHENS MEDICAL ASSOCIATION-GREECE 2002
-Member of ISHRS CME Committee 2016
-Member of World Congress Scientific Committee 2016 .
-Member of ISHRS Membership Committee.2017
1)Georgios Zontos :Methods of mathematical modeling in FUE hair transplantation technique ,and how it can be optimized by using image processing .M.Sc. thesis ,University of Patras –School of Medicine 2013
2) G. Zontos, P. Rose, G. Nikiforidis: A mathematical proof of how the outgrowth angle of the hair follicles influences the injury to the donor area in FUE harvesting. Dermatologic Surgery, October 2014 Volume 40 ,Issue 10
3) Zontos G.: The physics of follicular unit extraction, στο: Lam S., Williams K., Hair transplant 360, 2015, p.45
4)Georgios Zontos :What are the keys to minimizing evidence of extraction in the donor area in FUE .FUE round table questions and answers, Forum 2016(20(4) :(138-148))
5)Georgios Zontos :Design and implementation of image processing system and mathematical algorithms in order to optimize the FUE hair transplantation technique, PhD Thesis. University of PATRAS-School of Medicine .Greece 2016
6)G.Zontos, K.Williams ,G.Nikiforidis :Minimizing injury to the donor area in FUE harvesting .The Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology .March 2017 Volume 16 issue 1 p.61-69
7)P.Rose ,G.Zontos :Examination of exit angle of hair at the skin surface versus the internal angle of Hair as it relates to the FUE/FIT harvesting method .FORUM INTERNATIONAL Jan -Feb 2017
1)G.Zontos :Mathematical hair growth model ,International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, 18th Annual Meeting BOSTON 2010
2)G.Zontos :Mathematical approach of lateral and sagittal incisions , International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery 19th Annual Meeting ANCORAGE 2011
3)G.Zontos:Hair restoration for congenital etiology baldness in occipital region of the head for a 15 year old male patient using FUE ,International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, 19th Annual Meeting ANCORAGE 2011
4)G.Zontos :.Scar repair for a 15 year old male patient using FUE.International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, 20th Annual Meeting Bahamas 2012
5) G. Zontos, G. Nikiforidis: How the outgrowth of the hair follicles influences the injury on the donor area in FUE. A mathematical approach to the problem, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, 20th Annual Meeting, Bahamas 2012.
6) G. Zontos, G. Nikiforidis: How Image Processing in FUE harvesting can be used in calculating the reduction of skin trauma by injecting normal saline, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, 21st Annual Meeting, 2013, San Francisco.
7) G. Zontos, P. Theoharakis, G. Nikiforidis: A Novel Integrated Database System for Follicular Units Transplant, Based on Micro-Photos Image Analysis and Statistical Inference, 22nd International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery Annual Meeting, 2014, Kuala Lumpur – Malaysia.
8) G. Zontos, G. Nikiforidis: A scientific description of transection rate in FUE: reasons and solutions, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery Annual Meeting, 23rd Annual Meeting, 2015, Chicago. -
9) G.Zontos:FUE hair transplantation technique: Annual scientific meeting of Danish association of Plastic Surgery .Middlefart-Denmark 2015
10)G.Zontos :A comparison study of transection rate and wound surface size cause by a manual and motorized sharp punch in FUE . 24th ISHRS World Congress .Las Vegas 2016.
11)G.Zontos:An Application of a Computer Aided Diagnosis (CAD) and Treatment Planning System in FUE Harvesting Procedure. Design, Review and Practical Evaluation. 24th ISHRS World Congress .Las Vegas 2016.
12)G.Zontos :The potential regeneration of transected hair follicles in the donor area using FUE.25th ISHRS World Congress, Prague 2017
- Moderator at the session; New innovations .23rd ISHRS Annual Scientific Meeting .Chicago 2015
Faculty Member :
-Faculty member at: PRINCIPLES OF FUE/FIT Workshop 101 18th ISHRS Annual Meeting BOSTON 2010
-Faculty member at: FUE hands- on Course: Manual -non powered FUE techniques and Instrumentations .23rd ISHRS annual scientific meeting .Chicago 2015.
-Faculty member at: Basic FUE Workshop .24TH ISHRS World Congress .Las Vegas 2016