Expectations are important in managing post surgical hair restoration.
Managing expectations after your hair restoration surgery requires a sound fact-finding mission to best understand specific post surgical measures to anticipate to ensure a successful outcome. Each patient comes to their hair restoration surgery with different expectations but knowing what to expect after the surgery can lessen anxiety and enhance your appreciation for your new look.
Most hair restoration surgeons will counsel their patients to expect the following:
- Some tightness in the donor area for a couple of days after the procedure
- Patients are encouraged to sleep in an upright position for two to three days after the procedure to minimize swelling and bruising.
- Small crusts often appear on each graft but they flake off in 5 to 14 days. In the mean time, products such as DermMatch, Courve, or Toppik can be used to mask them.
- Initially, the transplanted hair can be seen growing out of the scalp but these follicles are usually shed within a couple of weeks after the procedure. This is normal.. The new growth will then occur 3 to 4 months later. These are the hairs that will then grow approximately one-quarter inch per month thereafter.
- Numbness that occurs in the both donor and recipient areas usually disappears within 2 to 8 months following surgery.
What were your post surgical expectations and did you have any unexpected problems you would like to share with other patients?