Twenty years of hair restoration by the numbers.
Anniversaries are natural times for reflection. During October, we are celebrating our 20th anniversary as a professional society devoted to promoting the art and science of hair restoration. Here are some milestone numbers that help put the past 20 years in perspective:
- 11%: The worldwide number of surgical hair restoration procedures performed in 2010 was approximately 279,381, up 11 percent from 2008.
- 66%: Comparing the 2010 number to 2004, the number of procedures performed around the world in 2010 jumped 66 percent – with the Middle East (454 percent increase) and Asia (345 percent increase) experiencing the largest growth.
- 85.9%: In 2010, 85.9 percent of all hair restoration surgical patients worldwide were male and 14.1 percent were female.
- 24%: Since 2004, the number of female surgical hair restoration patients worldwide increased 24 percent.
- 14.2%: In fact, according to the most recent practice data released by the ISHRS, hair restoration procedures performed on the eyelash, eyebrow and face in men and women increased 14.2 percent from 2008 to 2010.
What hair loss or restoration statistics do you find most useful? Are we missing some good ones? Please share!