Twenty years of hair restoration by the numbers.
Anniversaries are natural times for reflection. In October 2012, we celebrated our 20th anniversary as a professional society devoted to promoting the art and science of hair restoration. Here are some milestone numbers that help put those past 20 years in perspective:
- 11%: The worldwide number of surgical hair restoration procedures performed in 2010 was approximately 279,381, up 11% from 2008.
- 66%: Comparing the 2010 number with 2004, the number of procedures performed around the world in 2010 jumped 66% – with the Middle East (454% increase) and Asia (345% increase) experiencing the largest growth.
- 85.9%: In 2010, 85.9% of all hair restoration surgical patients worldwide were male and 14.1% were female.
- 24%: Since 2004, the number of female surgical hair restoration patients worldwide increased 24%.
- 14.2%: In fact, according to the 2011 practice data released by the ISHRS, hair restoration procedures performed on the eyelash, eyebrow and face in men and women increased 14.2% from 2008 to 2010.
What hair loss or restoration statistics do you find most useful? Are we missing some good ones? Please share!